Shipments come in different forms and sizes. The objective of packaging is to make sure that the package is not damage during transportation. We need to ensure that the items are secured and protected when it reached its destination in its original condition.
If you want to ship an item, below are the basic guidelines of packaging:
1) Use carton box slightly bigger to the original item.
2) It is recommended to use corrugated type of box.
3)To protect the internal item (item itself), we need to wrap it with bubble packs or other packing materials that will make the package compact. This will serve as a cushioning to your package.
4) Make sure that you seal the package properly by using strong tapes which are designed for shipping.
5) Shipping labels or shipping marks are very important. This indicates where exactly you want to ship your package. Just as the old-fashioned type of writing letters, we indicate “From address” and “To address”. In shipment terms, “From address” is where the shipment is coming from (normally, from the sender) and “To address” or “Ship To” is for the recipient of the package. It is greatly emphasize that we should clearly indicate contact details of the recipient (name, address and contact number).
6) If you are using recycle cartons, make sure that existing labels (if any) are taken off or covered.
7) Carton condition should not be flimsy.
Different items have different type of packaging. For example, for small parcels, you may use carton box or pouches (may differ in different size to suit your item) to pack your items. Screws, jacks, and any other small items can be placed in trays or separators before packing into one carton.
Small and Medium businesses may experience packing huge quantity of shipment. You may try to use palletizing method. Just remember to stack cartons in eye level and then wrap it with shrink wrap to secure cartons and prevent lost. If you are shipping machines, crating is best for you. Big machines need to be pack separately with the use of cushions and wooden crates. This really secures the machine that prevents internal damages. You may also consider metal casing for either long or big machines. Drums are use if you want to ship those metal powders or liquids. However, be sure that if you are shipping this type of items/materials, proper documentations is needed (this may be classified as dangerous goods (DG)).